Friday, October 17, 2008

Star Studded Bright Lights

The journey down the beautiful coastline of California has been simply amazing. The dramatic coastlines, the constant sunshine, and the friendly people have all made the journey perfect.

After stopping in a few little coastal towns, Los Angeles was home for 4 days. First of all, the hostel that we stayed in was by far the coolest accommodations thus far. Right on Broadway, the location was just perfect. We tried walking the city the first day, which although we walked for miles, we didn't see all there was to be seen. So the next day, we took a tour provided by the hostel that showed us the likes of The Fresh Prince of Bel Air's home, the Hollywood sign, Kat Von D's studio, the place where Biggie Smalls was murdered, Venice Beach, The store where Wynonna Ryder was caught red-handed, The park where George Michael was caught full-handed, and Rodeo Drive. That list could actually go on for days (the tour was 6 hours long), and was a fabulous way to be shown the city. Even before the tour, I had decided that LA is the first of my destinations that I could really envision living in. The star studded history in entertaining, (and I'm sure that I would probably be the only person moving there without fame on my list of ambitions) but the city as a whole is top on my list at this point.

Although I have zero desire to become famous, we did end up being interviewed for a TV show, and played as extras in a movie. The TV show interview was a random stop on Venice Beach. While watching one of the many street performers, we were approached by a television crew and asked if we wanted to be interviewed for their show. Of course we said 'yes', and the interview went on while I stumbled over words, turned bright red out of nerves, and started sweating profusely as though the camera itself was emitting 110 degrees worth of heat. I should've learned then that I wasn't cut out for the pressure of cameras, but when we arrived back at the hostel that night, they just happened to be in the middle of shooting a film. We were promised as extras, a free meal and drinks, so naturally I took one more stab at an acting career. My EVER-SO-IMPORTANT role required me to fake-conversate with the guy next to me, laughing and giggling as if what we were mouthing was funny. This was a serious challenge, but I'm almost certain that this GIANT role could lead to my big brake (where I would inevitably fail miserably again on camera). Regardless, the experience was fun, the pizza was delicious, and I have now played a role in a movie-wahoo!

No comments: